[rrd-users] Input values normalization

ENTRESSANGLE, ERIC (ERIC) eric.entressangle at alcatel-lucent.com
Tue Feb 18 15:17:32 CET 2014

Hello

I would like the feedback of experienced rrdtool/cacti users about the following point :
I think I understood that rrdtool works with rates (through counter, derive, absolute types), and that in this case, the "normalization" step can make sense.

But I'm more doubtful about the "normalization" for gauge type, for example when I graph a plain temperature, because it means that the temperature on my graph is never exactly the real input value, unless data source step and cacti's poller are perfectly synchronized, but it is impossible when there are a lot of counters to retrieve.

The solution I found is to set a data source step to 1 second to avoid normalization, but this produces big rrd files with a lot of redundant information.

I did not find a satisfactory solution up to now, thanks for any hint.

Regards

Eric