[rrd-users] Input values normalization

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Tue Feb 18 16:05:38 CET 2014

I'm with Simon on the validity of normalized input. If your device will
never report fractions of a degree, then the input will almost always be
"wrong" anyway, and certainly not more correct than what RRDtool eventually
produces.

This said...

Setting step to one is a good first step.
Next try to NOT have an RRA where steps==step, and NOT with consolidation
function average.

There is nothing wrong with, for instance, setting steps==3600 and CF==MAX
to remember the highest temperature reported during an hour, and to have
this as the RRA with finest granularity.

You could have two RRAs, one remembering MAX the other MIN, and then show
the temperature range seen suring any hour (e.g. a red area for the max
temperature seen, overlayed by a blue area for the minimum temperature
seen).

Not sure if cacti can do this, that's for someone else to answer, but
RRDtool can do it.

HTH
Alex