[rrd-users] Fwd: Re: Input values normalization

Reinhard Scheck Reinhard.Scheck at team-scheck.de
Wed Feb 19 17:45:28 CET 2014

-------- Original --------
Betreff: Re: [rrd-users] Input values normalization
Datum: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 19:55:38 +0100
Von: Reinhard Scheck <Reinhard.Scheck at team-scheck.de>
An: Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>

On 18.02.2014 18:03, Simon Hobson wrote:
>> There is nothing wrong with, for instance, setting steps==3600 and CF==MAX
>> to remember the highest temperature reported during an hour, and to have
>> this as the RRA with finest granularity.
>>
>> You could have two RRAs, one remembering MAX the other MIN, and then show
>> the temperature range seen suring any hour (e.g. a red area for the max
>> temperature seen, overlayed by a blue area for the minimum temperature
>> seen).
>>
>> Not sure if cacti can do this, that's for someone else to answer, but
>> RRDtool can do it.
>
> I'm fairly sure you can, but you'd need to do your own (non standard) data source setups. I suspect you might be better doing your own data collection as I'm not sure how well Cacti handles lots of high-frequency collection tasks - I have a fair number of RRDs where I collect the data externally but graph it in Cacti.

It depends on the polling interval. It is known, that people go down to 10 sec.
interval, 1min intervals are used frequently and 5 min being the default.
Using the "spine" poller, it is possible to collect data from many thousand data
sources (we do collect about 100,000 in about 70 sec; some scripts among them
lasting 40-45 sec alone)

Reinhard