[rrd-users] Upper-Lower limit and VDEF

sminc disposable at sminc.me.uk
Sun Feb 23 14:18:14 CET 2014

Do --lower-limit or --upper-limit accept VDEF variables as values ?

All the examples I have seen use actual numeric values within the
upper/lower commands to fix the Y-axis but I would like to have it more
dynamic based on the values within the graph itself.

I have a set of data (hard disk temperatures) which I have manipulated with
CDEF and VDEF to arrive at simple numeric values related to the maximum and
minimum temperature seen on the graph. These are stored in VDEF variables.

I can plot LINEs using the above VDEF values for position yet when I use the
same VDEF variable names in the lower/upper limit commands they are either
ignored or force the wrong scale.

I realise that auto-scaling is doing this for me but I would like more
control.

I can substitute variables into the lower/upper commands from outside the
rrdtool graph command with $variable etc but then cannot see a way of
creating the same values I found via CDEF and VDEF via the script (using
rrdtool fetch etc).

So my question is, should this work and I am doing it wrong or does
upper/lower-limit not support VDEF substitution for values ?

I am running RRDTOOL on a synology NAS as a pre-compiled IPKG package,
listed as version 1.2.30-1

Many thanks.