[rrd-users] cross-platform export?

Alex Johnson alex at plot.ly
Wed Jan 22 08:11:50 CET 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 6:03 PM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Yesterday Alex Johnson wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm new to rrd, but have gotten a request to import rrd files into
> plot.ly.
> > This can already be done by exporting from rrd to xml first, but it would
> > be even better if we can omit that step. But I run into a problem when I
> > try it, because I don't know where the file was created:
> >
> > ERROR: This RRD was created on another architecture
> > Is there any way around this, so I can export rrd data on my system
> > (ubuntu) regardless of where it was created?
>
> no, not with rrdtool ... obviously you could write a cross-platform
> parser for the rrdtool data format.

Ah OK, I see it now in rrd_format.h. Seems like more of a project than I
can take on, unfortunately. I'm curious though, how many variations on the
architecture are there? Is it just big/little-endian? Looks like the test
is just based on the RRD\0 header and one double-precision float.
Thanks,
Alex

--
plotly