[rrd-users] HRULE and VRULE legends

Petteri Matilainen pmatil at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 10:58:01 CEST 2014

Hi!

I'm using rrdtool 1.4.7 on debian linux. I'm graphing temperatures with
GAUGE. Everything is working fine except recently I found out that my
HRULE legends did not print.

After awhile I found this option, -F (--force-rules-legend). So this
allowed the legends to print again as I had set the upper limit of the
graph to 24 and I got around 28-30. But, I don't know if this is
expected behaviour that even though the HRULE lines and main graph line
print because of autoscale the legends don't. The help says:

[-F|--force-rules-legend]

Force the generation of HRULE and VRULE legends even if those HRULE or
VRULE will not be drawn because out of graph boundaries.

So according to this the legend is not printed if the lines are not
printed. But for me the lines are printed but the legend is not. So all
it takes is that -l or -u definitions that are out of range. The graph
may still print okay.

Please excuse me if this have been addressed in 1.4.8, I have not
checked the changelog.

regards,

Petteri Matilainen