[rrd-users] If input is already in text format and I craft a perl script to parse the text format and update rrd database, what should the step and heartbeat be?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 10 23:14:34 CEST 2014

I don’t really understand why you think that you’d need to have separate RRD files for the ‘daily’ graphs and the ‘monthly’ one.

Why not have a single RRD, with two RRAs – one with 1cdp=1pdp (that you use for your daily graph) and one with a higher granularity – maybe 1cdp=1hour=4pdp – that extends for 62 days (to allow a graph of the last and current calendar months).  When you generate your graph, simply use the start and end params to specify that you’re making a daily or monthly graph, and the correct RRA should be used.  This is how MRTG, Cacti and similar use RRDTool.

As you add new data to the RRD, RRDtool will take care of the summarisation and expiry of data.  If you want to archive daily data for longer, then simply extend the first RRA as far as required.

Steve

Steve Shipway

s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz