[rrd-users] Valgrind error rrd_update.c:982

Matthias Nagel matthias.h.nagel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 08:25:07 CEST 2014

Hi,

> The setlocale() thread-safeness problems are well known, but there is also a
> rather significant lack of a decent widely adopted workaround.

I know, but what I want to say is that according to this page [1] the
rrd_update_r function is said to be thread-save but it isn't. Hence,
if I had not stumbled across the first point (aka the memory bug) I
would not have noticed this one. I  would never have assumed that
rrd_update_r uses setlocale. (Perhaps sometimes later in the future
after I would have observed strange behaviour.) That's why I asked for
a big warning at [1].

I do not know yet, if setlocale is the only problem with rrd_update_r,
but at least I see a bug fix for this one. There is no need to use
setlocale at all, if there was an interface like

rrd_update_r( cont char* rrdFile, time_t ts, size_t argc, const char*
desc[], const T* val[] )

for T being a numeric type. This way one could avoid the conversion to
and from a string at all. The calling application is responsible of
providing the correct datatype. That should even simplify rrd_update_r
because there is no need to

Regards, Matthias

[1] http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/prog/rrdthreads.en.html

--