[rrd-users] [GRAYMAIL] Block GPRINT when values not defined?

rseiwert rob at vca.com
Tue May 13 18:03:52 CEST 2014

Bump. I have the same issue. In my humble opinion "Unknown" values should not print zero and that's what strftime currently does. It seems to me that you should be able to test with an RPN expression but I had no luck. Should be easy enough to patch but I personally don't know github yet but this really bothers me so it's probably only a matter of time.

Also something I discovered, if you open you graph time range to see the future you are also increasing your step size and watering down (averaging up?) your data. This is why I've started pre-calculating the slope and base in code from the rrd_data to get a "higher resolution" of the trend before generating the graph.  Once you know the max size (or target y) you can solve for the number of steps (x) in y=ax+b then calculate your "crossing  date" from x *step size. All this, the trends (slope, base, and correlation) and calculated crossing dates are passed into rrd_graph as literals. This method also allows your code to trigger to your NMS based of trends instead of having to look at the graph to see the date.