[rrd-users] rrdlib: Are the API functions that avoid double string conversion?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu May 29 23:42:00 CEST 2014

> Is there any second level of API function that are a little bit more low
level?

For what you are doing, I would suggest you use rrdcached.

Set up rrdcached on your server with appropriate settings, listening on a
port with appropriate firewall rules to protect it.

Then, your application can open this port, and send update commands directly
to it -- the port can remain open, and rrdcached will take care of
aggregating the updates and optimising the output.  You do not even need to
use the rrdtool C library as all you need to do is to open a sock_stream TCP
port connection and send the commands down it, watching for return values
(the rrdtool library will do this for you if you want, but is a bit of
overkill if all you want is to send updates)

I use this method for sending updates to rrdtool at a rate of many per
second from our VMware monitoring agents (I've done it in Perl but the
principle is the same)

Steve

Steve Shipway
s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz