[rrd-users] find top 10 in > 4000 rrd files

David Thornton northdot9 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 16:18:47 CEST 2014

I'd like to suggest that you could sped this up big time on a multi core
device by using "parallel"

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/parallel/

You do the extraction in parallel:

  rrdtool graph /dev/null \
    --start ... --end ... --step ... \
    DEF:x=$x:column:AVERAGE \
    VDEF:y=x,MAXIMUM
    PRINT:y:$x=%lf
    grep = > /ramdisk/$ip.$id.data

and then you cat all the small little files, and sort , print.

(probaby the rrdtool command line is what takes most of the computing
power.)

David