[rrd-users] VDEF, 95th percentile and graph width

Marius Karthaus lists at karthaus.nl
Mon Sep 8 22:17:09 CEST 2014

Hello list,

Thank you Martin for your answer. The step=1 is indeed something I tried
last, but it did not have any effect. I've put it back to 300.

The issue remains still that on every place in the internet I can find
about this, including the docs of RRDtool this is the 'way to do it' and
it is very inaccurate. Even our datacenter provider appears to be using
this calculation as grounds for billing and as such their traffic
calculation for our type of use is twice as high (38Mbit  vs. 17Mbit) as
the actual 5 minute measurements on our router.

There is no reason why the VDEF calculation for percentile should be
influenced by the pixel width of the graph. I invite people that are
actually using RRD for 95th percentile printouts to vary their
graph-width and see if their measurements are influenced by their design
choice instead of their actual usage.

Regards,
Marius Karthaus