[rrd-users] How to plan RRD creation from previously acquired data?

gschanuel gabriel.schanuel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 23:44:08 CEST 2014

Hello folks

I have exported some data from Cacti to a CSV file (actually 300 files). Now
I'm trying to add this data to a rrd.

I have ordered the data in files like the one pasted here:
https://gist.github.com/a9bc1e56c0c39386693f

timestamp:traffic_in:traffic_out

Well.. I created the rrd with this command:

rrdtool create test.rrd \
--step '300' \
--start '1356998400' \
'DS:traffic_in:GAUGE:600:0:U' \
'DS:traffic_out:GAUGE:600:0:U' \
'RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600' \
'RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:672' \
'RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:732' \
'RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:730' \
'RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:8928:3' \
'RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:107136:2'

The problem is that when I update the rrd with
for i in $(cat file.csv); do rrdtool update filename.rrd $i; done
i get a lot (really, a lot) of "NaN".

I guess there is something to do with archives or step.. but I really have
no idea!

The file pasted on gists is just one of 300, the timestamp and frequency may
be different.

So, my question is:
How can I create a RRD file that can store all the information pasted above,
and how can I achieve that to the other 299 files?

I assume that when I exported the data, they were an average already, and
that's why I couldn't use COUNTER instead.

Any other sugestions are very welcome

Thanks in advance

Gabriel