[rrd-users] updating rrd file with ping min, max and avg times in milliseconds

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Aug 10 21:20:58 CEST 2015

Devante Vargas <devantev at gmail.com> wrote:

> I created the rrd file using the following parameters:
>
> rrdtool.exe create latency.rrd
> --start now
> DS:response:GAUGE:600:U:U
> RRA:MIN:0.5:12:8760
> RRA:MAX:0.5:12:8760
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:8760
>
> I am trying to update it but having problems getting the following error:
>
> "ERROR: latency.rrd: found extra data on update argument: 0.40:0.88:0.73"

That's because you are offering 3 values to an RRD that's configured to take only one.

> I am typing the following to update the rrd file:
>
> rrdtool update latency.rrd 08/10/2015_11:33:0.40:0.88:0.73
>
> 0.40 = Minimum
> 0.88 = Maximum
> 0.73 =  Average

It doesn't work like that. If you want to record the min/avg/max values from a ping then you need to define THREE DSs, eg response_min, response_avg, response_max
You can then define your RRAs as required. You cannot be selective about this, so you will end up with all 9 permutations of min of min, min of avg, min of max, avg of min, ... Only three of these (min of min, avg of avg, max of max) are actually useful.