[rrd-users] Using Maximum values to avoid spikes?

Florio, Christopher N florio at email.unc.edu
Thu Aug 20 20:19:48 CEST 2015

Hey all,

I've got a home brew rrd file that I've made to keep track of ISC bind statistics.

I've set the max to 4,000,000,000 .... I acrtually see one of my hosts do 1.5G every night for a couple hours.

/usr/bin/rrdtool create \
/usr/share/cacti/rra/crush_net_unc_edu_query_116761.rrd \
--step 300  \
DS:query:COUNTER:600:0:4000000000 \
DS:notify:COUNTER:600:0:4000000000 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:500 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:500 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797 \

So, what happens is, if the bind process gets restarted, the data goes back to zero and I get a 4G spike on my graph.

Any ideas on fixing that?  Should I use derive instead of counter to fix it up?