[rrd-users] Getting an overview of many statistics...

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Fri May 29 12:38:08 CEST 2015

I would generate a number of squares, showing either green, amber or red.
Clicking on a square of interest would bring up detailed information for
that interface (together with an RRDtool graph).

The layout of the squares depend on what I'm looking at. It could be a
geographic map, a network map, or even just a matrix of 32 columns by as
many rows as needed.

All green is all good.

I would NOT include logic which compares one interface to the others. Bad is
still bad, even if other interfaces are also bad. If all interfaces are
doing equally bad, you would want to show all red, not all green.

Squares could show information from the last hour and last hour only. Or, if
so desired, a gradient from red to green, as a relative percentage of good
vs. bad. over the last 24 hours or so.
Squares could be divided into 2 or 4 triangles, showing independent
variables.
There will be some point where adding more information to the overview
results in less readability.

Defining 'normal', 'not so good' and 'really bad' is a challenge which needs
to be determined together with the customer. After all, these are his
interfaces and his expectations. Bandwidth utilisation near 100% and packet
loss would probably be important factors to make decisions. Maybe each
interface could have its own set of limits.

Input data for the script can come from 'rrdtool graph'. Do not use graphing
elements, use PRINT instead of GPRINT, and you can get averages, maxima, et
cetera to use in your decision tree. The more information you need to
extract, the more computing power will be needed.

Can RRDtool do the rest of what I suggested: no.  RRDtool is not a graphing
program and although sometimes it is 'abused' as such, in many cases this
involves unnessesary complexity.  Creating, filling and reading a database
every time just to display 24 columns (1 for each hour) is IMHO a waste of
resources. Just script it, or write a program in the language of choice.
Depending on how complex you want to make it, you could create the overview
page using a script generating html and css only, or create a complex
program which uses a graphics library and generates a clickable map.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions, or can even provide suggestions
for existing software to use instead of reinventing the wheel.

HTH
cheers,
Alex