[rrd-users] Percentile consolidation

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Mon Oct 26 00:02:29 CET 2015

Note that variance, and hence stddev, can be calculated incrementally (by
keeping a timeseries of the average rate squared; variance = (average
rate^2 - average^2), stddev=sqrt(variance)), and assuming a normal
distribution, 95th percentile = 2*stddev. The accuracy of this depends on
how closely your samples match a normal distribution and is not as
resilient to outliers as calculating a true 95th percentile from all the
samples, but it's a pretty good approximation. If you know your
distribution is closer to log-normal (which it often is for things like
latency), you can calculate a more accurate 95th percentile from the
average and variance like this;

mu = ln(avg) - ln(var/avg**2 + 1)/2
sigma = sqrt(ln(var/avg**2 + 1))
p95 = lognorminv(0.95, mu, sigma)

Unfortunately right now rrd doesn't support RRA's of type variance
(CF=VAR?) or mean value squared (CF=AVERAGE2?). However, if you were going
to request a feature, this is something that is definitely possible. A true
95th percentile RRA is definitely not. Another ugly approximation uses
bucketed distributions, but I wouldn't request that.

Note having an RRA of type CF=AVERAGE2 is useful for calculating the "root
mean square", something that is also useful for eg AC power calculations.
Also, stddev is actually the "root mean square" of the distance from the
mean.

Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au>