[rrd-users] RRDs perl library not on CPAN?

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Thu Sep 10 17:42:00 CEST 2015

Hi Cosimo,

Today Cosimo Streppone wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a statsd-to-RRD backend in form of a Perl library
> (for Net::Statsd::Server if you're curious).
>
> I started out by including RRD::Simple, then I noticed it uses
> RRDs.pm under the hood, so I converted my code to it.
>
> I searched for RRDs on the CPAN, but I can't find it,
> not on metacpan nor on search.cpan.org.
>
> I saw that debian has a librrds-perl package which seems to
> point back to rrdtool[1].
>
> Question: is RRDs not on CPAN? If so, why?
>
> Doesn't that make CPAN distributions that need to depend
> on RRDs/RRDtool automatically broken?

the rrdtool distribution contains a bunch of language bindings ...
since I develop both, rrdtool and update the bindings as required,
distributing the rrdtool bindings seperately on cpan seems a bit
odd, as they make no sense without rrdtool ... and are coupled to
the version of rrdtool ...

if you know a clever way to handle this, let me know.

cheers
tobi

www.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch +41 62 775 9902