[rrd-users] fetch rrd data in a particular DS order

Raymond van der Laan raymond.van.der.laan at broadforward.com
Thu Apr 7 14:46:37 CEST 2016

I know this topic has been raised before but I was hoping a more recent
and/or conclusive approach to this topic is available.

It is about creating csv files from multiple rrd files, using rrdtool fetch.
The use case is straightforward: data is collected from multiple nodes, so
in order to get an accumulated set of (csv) data, the individual node's rrd
files are 'fetch'ed and the resulting data are added up by timestamp,
column-wise and made into a csv file.

Now the problem occurs when over time, new DS's are added to the existing
rrd files, and new rrd files (=new nodes) are added too. The DS's are not in
the same order anymore because of this. (Maybe this could have been
prevented, but it is the case currently).

Some rrd files have DS's A B C D and others have D A B C, in that order. For
updating and charting this is not an issue as you can explicitly specify the
DS's to address. But for fetching, somehow this is not available.

Can I fetch rrd data in a particular DS order?