[rrd-users] Trying to graph with two different resolutions in same graph doesn't work.

mmclure manuel at mclure.org
Mon Jul 4 20:50:45 CEST 2016

I'm trying to graph the same data in two different resolutions on the same
graph, and it's not working as expected. I have the following RRD:

rrdtool create /var/lib/weather/weather.rrd \
        --start now-25200 \
        --step 300 \
        DS:temperature:GAUGE:1200:-40:158 \
        DS:humidity:GAUGE:1200:0:100 \
        DS:windspeed:GAUGE:1200:0:128 \
        DS:rain:DERIVE:1200:0:U \
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:2880 \
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:700 \
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:2000 \
        RRA:MAX:0.5:1:2880 \
        RRA:MAX:0.5:12:700 \
        RRA:MAX:0.5:288:2000 \
        RRA:MIN:0.5:1:2880 \
        RRA:MIN:0.5:12:700 \
        RRA:MIN:0.5:288:2000

and I'm trying to display the temperature for the week, showing the actual
temperature plus the daily maximum, minimum and average. The maximum and
minimum work fine, but the average doesn't.

Here's the chart definition:

rrdtool graph ${PNGDIR}/temp1w.png \
        --title="1 Week Temperature" \
        --upper-limit=120 --lower-limit=40 \
        --end ${ENDTIME} --start end-1w --width 600 --height 200 \
        DEF:temperature=${RRD}:temperature:AVERAGE \
        DEF:temperaturemax=${RRD}:temperature:MAX:step=86400 \
        DEF:temperaturemin=${RRD}:temperature:MIN:step=86400 \
        DEF:temperatureavg=${RRD}:temperature:AVERAGE:step=86400 \
        LINE:temperature#0000FF:"Temperature" \
        LINE:temperaturemax#FF0000:"Max Temperature" \
        LINE:temperaturemin#00FF00:"Min Temperature" \
        LINE:temperatureavg#000000:"Avg Temperature"

The black line ("temperatureavg") displays the instantaneous temperature
("temperature") instead of the daily average - i.e. it exactly overlays the
blue line for "temperature". If, however, I delete the DEF and LINE for
"temperature" then the "temperatureavg" black line correctly displays the
daily average.

I tried to model the chart after the first example on the
"rrdgraph_examples" documentation page which shows the same data at
different resolutions.

This is rrdtool 1.5.5 on Gentoo Linux. I'm sure I'm missing something
simple. Any ideas as to what?