[rrd-users] RRD Graph Data

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Thu Jun 9 16:17:56 CEST 2016

> Hmmm Alex, got it.

you're responding to Simon's reply. Just to make that clear.

> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797
> RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600
> RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700
> RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775
> RRA:MAX:0.5:444:797
>

> and my datasources are:
>
> DS:in:COUNTER:600:U:U
> DS:out:COUNTER:600:U:U

default step size of 300 seconds?

If RRDtool does what it promises, you could set the end time to some time
n*300s, and set the start time to "end-300s". That should give you one
stores rate out of the RRA with each CDP is 1 PDP.

Simon wrote:
>> What I'm trying to say is that the graph may be showing the average for
>> the previous 5 minute period, while fetch is showing you the average for
>> the previous 30 minutes.

don't know how accurate RRDtool is nowadays but there was a time when
start and/or end times were "massaged" to some other number than one would
expect. When discussed as such, the response was more "don't care" than
"will fix", and that's when I lost my passion.

Different versions had (have?) different problems, so whoever is trying
similar things should be prepared to closely look what *exactly* is
happening, as opposed to how it *should* behave (read: is documented).