[rrd-users] Adding data in the past

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Mar 9 22:49:44 CET 2016

> I want to add data in the past but cannot figure how to do so.

As Simon pointed out, you cannot do this, by design.  RRDTool performs
continuous consolidation of data which would not be possible were you able
to add data in the past.

If you have a large amount of historical data to add in one go, then you
could do it by creating a separate RRD file for this new data, then using an
RRD merge function to merge the two together.  I have an rrdmerge script in
the 'extras' directory of the Routers2 software distribution you can use,
and several other people have also created merge scripts; I think Tobi has
added merge functionality into the RRDTool 1.5 branch as well now.  This is
not ideal, though, as you still get a hiccup in RRA items which overlap both
sets, and you need to pick which RRD to use for which time window.

Steve

Steve Shipway
T: +64 9 3737 599 ext 86487
E: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz