[rrd-users] What's the best way?

DEIGNAN Ciaran C.DEIGNAN at rsd.com
Mon Mar 14 10:52:35 CET 2016

Hi all,

I have a data source that gives me "number of requests" and "total bytes transferred".
I would like to be able to monitor the bytes transferred per request over time.

I can pre-process the data to calculate (delta bytes) / (delta requests).
Obviously I would have to skip over any periods where there are no new requests.
In that case I should probably use an "ABSOLUTE" DS definition, right?

Is there a better way?
I thought initially that since the number of requests and the number of bytes are both converted to rates, I could simply graph a CDEF of (bytes/requests).
I tried that and it doesn't look good.

Would the "COMPUTE" DS be a valid approach?
Or something "PREV" in a CDEF ?

Thanks for any experience...

Ciaran Deignan
RSD Open Systems Support