[rrd-users] Rows as duration not working? (rrdtool 1.4.8 and 1.4.7)

Manuel Reiter reiter at csc.uni-frankfurt.de
Tue May 3 09:30:21 CEST 2016

Hi,

I know these are not the newest versions but apparently they are what
ships with Raspbian and Mint respectively, and I didn't find any mention
of durations in the changelog, so I'm curious. I'm trying to specify
number of rows for an RRA as duration (as mentioned in the
documentation) like this:

rrdtool create test.rrd DS:Test:GAUGE:600:0:1 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:1d

I would now expect the RRA to have 24*12=360 rows. However, rrdtool info
gives me:

 > rrdtool info test.rrd
filename = "test.rrd"
rrd_version = "0003"
step = 300
last_update = 1462260472
header_size = 584
ds[Test].index = 0
ds[Test].type = "GAUGE"
ds[Test].minimal_heartbeat = 600
ds[Test].min = 0,0000000000e+00
ds[Test].max = 1,0000000000e+00
ds[Test].last_ds = "U"
ds[Test].value = 0,0000000000e+00
ds[Test].unknown_sec = 172
rra[0].cf = "AVERAGE"
rra[0].rows = 1
rra[0].cur_row = 0
rra[0].pdp_per_row = 1
rra[0].xff = 0,0000000000e+00
rra[0].cdp_prep[0].value = NaN
rra[0].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0

only one row. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance for any insights on this!

All the best,

   Manuel