[rrd-users] Confusion about VDEF total and graph values

humke arjan.hummel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 14:48:58 CEST 2016

Alex van den Bogaerdt-5 wrote
> You mean you want to see the same bars, only reduced in width? In other
> words, get smaller bars with gaps inbetween?

That would also work visually, but what I had in mind was not to reduce the
width, but create the bars by separating them with vertical lines of the
correct height.

So, now I will need some time to play around based on your detailed
explanation :)

Alex van den Bogaerdt-5 wrote
> If you'd have step sizes smaller than 3600 seconds and measure more often
> than every 3600 seconds, you would end up will all gas used during the
> last of each step, and zero in the others. Definately not want you want.

Wouldn't this actually create the desired bars in a more easy way? I will
try...

Alex van den Bogaerdt-5 wrote
> Write down 24 consecutive rates. They will differ during the day.
>
> How do you want to combine these 24 rates into 1 ?
>
> Hint: you do not want the last of these 24 (but you are doing that now:
> LAST CF).
> Hint: you do not want the highest of these 24 (but that would happen when
> using MAX CF).
>
> Once more: surface, not rate.

I can see where you are going with this. I want the total surface of 24 bars
to be the same as the surface for the 1 bar. So AVERAGE would be the correct
CF choice here, because only that CF would give me the same surface.  I will
try this.

I could (or maybe even should) still use LAST for the highest resolution
(one hour) in this case right? As it's one PDP or are all my 10 second tries
to store the value also CF'ed?

I do need to read the tutorials again, because I am getting all these
questions about stuff I thought I understood.

humke