[rrd-users] Using a windowed counter

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Wed Jun 14 00:59:40 CEST 2017

A far simpler solution is; it's just a counter that resets every hour.

Provided you set sensible min and max rates, rrd will just see the hourly
reset as a counter reset and record an UNKNOWN rate (NaN) for that 5min
(since rrd cannot know how much rain fell between the reset and the sample
taken before it).

If you want to reduce or eliminate the NaNs you can sample at a faster rate
(at least 2x faster) and set the xff on your rra's to a reasonable 0.5.
This will "average out" the small unknown period using the known periods to
give you a reasonably accurate estimated rate for the 5min period.