[rrd-users] how to feed rrdtool unknown values

Andreas Schuldei andreas+rrdtool at schuldei.org
Wed Mar 15 10:08:11 CET 2017

I find different notations when googeling for ways to feed unknown values
to rrdtool. Things i find are "UNKN", "u", "NaN". I realize it might depend
on context and programming language.

My situation: i wrote a perl plugin for collectd (written in c), which uses
librrd. What do i need to do in my perl plugin so that "unknown" will turn
up in the rrd files?

(I realize that collectd sits in the middle, but I assume its only a very
thin layer and doesn't meddle with my data.)