[rrd-users] How to upgrade RRDtool?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 23:37:43 CET 2018

Stage <Stage at compudac.nl> wrote:

> I have a small question for you. I work as an Intern,and i got the assignment to upgrade the monitoring solution.
> Since i cannot find a guide to upgrade RRDtool on the internet. I felt urged to ask the mailing list.
> The plan is to upgrade RRDtool from 1.3.8 to 1.5.6 but i don't know how.
> I am using CentOS 6 64-bit, with Cacti 0.8.8h
>
> Does anyone know how to do this?

It depends largely on how it was originally installed.

If it was installed by way of the distribution's package manager then it's normally just a case of telling the package manager to upgrade that package - which usually also means upgrading packages it depends on.

If installed from source, then it would be a case of downloading the source, compiling it, and installing the binary.

Regardless, you need to plan the upgrade. Have a plan for what you are going to do, when you are going to do it, how you are going to test that it all works, and what you are going to do if it doesn't ! Having a good, recent, backup is always a good idea ! But these should be covered by policies at whatever establishment you are working at - and you should consult your supervisor for guidance on this.