[smokeping-users] Re: Question about libraries and fping...

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 21 17:02:47 MET 2001

Today Paul C. Williamson wrote:

> I was just wondering since there is that "to" on the end of it...

this was because I did not want to publish anything which has the
same name as the existing release ... they have now actually put up
my copy on the official website ... :-)

> As for the libraries, there are two "use qw(blah" statements
> in the bin/smokeping file, and there isn't really a good
> explanation of why there are two.  I figured one for perl, and
> the other one for either smokeping or rrdtool...

one is to make smokeping find the rrdtool.pm library

the other is for smokeping to find the smokeping.pm

they are both for perl ... these lines tell perl where to look for
*.pm files ...

> Paul

> Today Paul C. Williamson wrote:
>

> > What libraries are supposed to be in the bin/smokeping file?
> >
> > It looks like maybe perl and something else, but I can't tell.
> >
> > I have all the prerequisites, but I don't want to install a different
> > version of fping if I don't have to.  Is it possible to either modify
> > the standard fping (I have 2.4b2) or reinstall the modified fping
> > with little impact to other programs already using it?
>
> there is not 'modified' fping ... the fping on the website is
> simply a copy which can be compiled where as the official one did
> not compile at the time I built smokeping ...
>
> there are different versions of fping floating around some report
> time in microseconds other report report time in 0.1 microseconds
> ... smokeping tries to autodetect this
>
> what do you mean by libraries ?
>
> cheers
> tobi
>
> > Thanks,
> > Paul
> >

> > --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ mailto:oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker