[smokeping-users] Re: Router to router pings

Steven Rojo pidooma at pidooma.com
Thu Aug 1 18:25:47 MEST 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Friday Jim Horwath wrote:
>

> > Smokepingers,
> >
> > Is it possible to do a router to router ping with Smokeping.  For example
> > if I have a router in Korea and one in Japan, but my Smokeping server is
> > in the US can a setup Router to Router pings using httpmon (since the
> > routers are Cisco).  Thanks in advance.
>
> curently there is no support for this, but a plugin could certainly
> be written ... it would never be a efficient as fping but it should
> be posible ... I guess, best would be to start from the echo ping
> plugin
>
> tobi

Looks like someone on www.freshmeat.net wrote a Cisco remote ping
utility in perl.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/rping/?topic_id=152%2C155

It uses SNMP (and you need the read-write community on the router)
to ping from a Cisco router to a remote location.

I haven't really looked in to integrating it as a Smokeping probe,
as I'm not really a programmer but may give it a try.

steve