[smokeping-users] Re: Scaling in smokeping 0.99.8

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Jan 16 14:00:06 MET 2002

Tobi,

It would be nice if the graphs scaled in unison as an
option.  Both in the preview and when looking at a
specific device and all associated graphs.

Logarithmic sounds good.  I've seen some sites that
graph (using RRDTool) error rates on router interfaces
this way and seems to work well for them.  The one
that comes to mind is the network map for Internet 2.

Paul

Yesterday Fred Grayson wrote:

> Something, somewhere, caused the latency for several sites to go way up for what looks like one five
> minute reporting period. This has caused all the graphs to be scaled to that value (4 seconds). Even
> though this happened long enough ago for the large spike to be visible on the last 30 hours and older
> plots, all the plots are forced to a 4 second scale. This spoils the smoke effect :-(
>
> Is there any way to easily discard such data and get back to normal?

Hi Fred,

well not withing smokeping. You can use the rrdtool contrib
killspike script ... another option which I am going to try soon is
plotting with a logarithmic scale, this could make things more
resilient to such spikes. If you have other algorithmic ideas to
deal with this problem, let me know ... would it help if not all
the graphs were scaling in unision ? Should there be a thershold
for unison scaling, which lets one graph break out of the unison
scaling as soonn as the difference goes over a certain ratio ?

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi