[smokeping-users] Re: Another suggestion...

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Mon Jan 28 23:04:03 MET 2002

What about pinging a specific port?  Although Tobi's idea
sounds way cooler.  I may look at that after I get this Cisco
thing working...

I'd have to agree that a ping rarely shows how the server itself
is actually performing, just how well the NIC can respond to pings.

Paul

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 04:21:39PM -0500, Paul C. Williamson wrote:

> A probe to utilize Cisco's CISCO-PING-MIB.  Cisco has a proprietary
> way for one cisco device to ping another one and report that time
> back to another device.  I have no idea if I can do this with
> smokeping, but I'd really like to try.

Pretty neat. No use for it myself, but nice feature.

> As for the servers, why not just add their IP addresses to smokeping?
> My network guys are pretty impressed with the tool, as it closely
> reflects what is going on with our network...

Well, there are plenty of cases where a server might respond to pings
normally but the daemon is in trouble and does not respond, or
responds very slowly. Thinking of web, nntp, etc servers here. I don't
have a great need for this myself, or would have tried in my own
feeble way to do it already. But thought it might be interesting
nonetheless, and may have at it some day.

--
Hal Burgiss