[smokeping-users] Re: Another suggestion...

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Mon Jan 28 23:34:50 MET 2002

Today Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 05:04:03PM -0500, Paul C. Williamson wrote:
> > What about pinging a specific port?  Although Tobi's idea
> > sounds way cooler.  I may look at that after I get this Cisco
> > thing working...
>
> Well, you just can't do that with ICMP. There are other ways of doing
> it. Something like nc, which just tries to open a port. And then there
> is a hacker tool called hping, which can do tcp and udp pings just
> like ping handles ICMP. But this plays havoc with my firewall since it
> just sends a stream of SYNs (or whatever flag you set), and leaves the
> connection open until it timeouts. Note to cr|hacker: please fix :)
>
> The way I'd see testing a server is the time to get a valid response.
> Say a web server, open connection, time to get an HTTP 200 response
> or whatever, close connection. My perl is not so good, but I've played
> with this some, and one hurdle I couldn't get past, is that IO::Socket
> does not seem to ever time out. So if the server opens connection, but
> does not conclude it, the connection just sits there. There probably
> is a better module, but I never dug too deep into it.
>
> Tobi, wouldn't getting SYN and ACK level data require putting
> interface in promiscuous mode? I guess there is a perl sniffer ...

not sure ... I am not into network hacking realy ...

this looks interesting http://www-iepm.slac.stanford.edu/tools/synack/

it does not have 'first byte' capability though

with this a a perl forking loop to paralelize queriing multiple
targets should work neatly ...

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi