[smokeping-users] Re: question on probe timing

Dan Tucny dan at tucny.com
Sat Jun 22 02:21:55 MEST 2002

Fping will by default send one ping every 25 milliseconds (40 packets
per second, 84byte packets, 3360 bytes per second) and will wait 1
second between pings to the same host. From that, 40 hosts would take
roughly 20 seconds, 80 would take about 40 seconds. Depending on how
many hosts you are needing to check and the size of your own line you
may need to increase the rates, but 33.6kbit/second on default settings
is pretty unlikely to get anywhere near DoS'ing yourself.

Dan