[smokeping-users] Re: green yellow orange red

Philippe Strauss philou at philou.ch
Thu Mar 21 09:38:18 MET 2002

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 09:04:14AM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Today Philippe Strauss wrote:
>
> > Hello smokers :),
> >
> > I've installed smokeping 2 days ago and I've tuned
> > the loss bar color to be more progressive between green and red,

..

> Hi Philippe,
>
> I used to have more progressive colorur, but my network friends
> told me that for them every lost packet is one too many, so only a
> 0 loss situation is acceptable .. therfore the color change between
> 0 and 1 is so abrupt ... but indeed certainly less pleasing to the
> eye :-)

Yes, your network friends are perfectly right for a LAN environment,
I'm using it behind a cable modem configured at 512/128kbps
so one loss here and then is tolerable.
Let say my color scheme is for monitoring commercial broadband
offering.
But I've been careful to tune colors so you can easily distinguish
each from the other, at least including and below 6 packet loss
over 20.

> > and thanks Tobi for yet another great monitoring tool :)
>
> well feel free to use http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/wish to
> express your feelings :-)

haha will do.

(duh no, you already stole me when I configured RRD anyway :)

--
Philippe Strauss
http://philou.ch/

L'indifférence est le plus grand risque de notre temps,
la forme civilisée de la cruauté.  -- Zenta Maurina