[smokeping-users] smokeping and traceroute-ing

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Mon Oct 21 19:00:14 MEST 2002

A couple of thoughts on enhancing Smokeping (which came in very handy
for me just now after a routing flap in my upstream provider):

* Perform a traceroute once an hour and add it to the
detail of the individual sites being pinged.

* When latencies climb up over some upper bound, use the traceroute
information to figure out which of the closest hops is causing the
latency hit, and start graphing to that one :-).