[smokeping-users] Install complete, Daemon Running, but I can't get graphs output

Steve Gaas steve.gaas at vnetsource.com
Thu Apr 3 19:13:45 MEST 2003

I don't know what to do..  I've been working on this all morning.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated!  I am running RedHat 8.0

What URL should one goto if the compilation and installation have gone
successfully to view data?

I'm trying Http://inetmon/ls/ (but no index.html was created for apache
to display)
I'm also trying http://inetmon/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi but I receive the
following output from Apache:
Server error!
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your
request.
Error message:
Premature end of script headers: smokeping.cgi
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster
Error 500

Below is my smokemail.config file and my /bin/smokemail script.

[root at netmon ls]# less /etc/smokeping.config
# Note that all IP addresses in this file are false, to prevent some
# machine falling uder a deadly DOS storm because all users keep
# the same addresses in their config.

*** General ***

owner    = Steve Gaas
contact  = steve.gaas at vnetsource.com
mailhost = localhost
sendmail = /usr/lib/sendmail
imgcache = /var/www/html/ls/
imgurl   = http://inetmon/ls
datadir  = /var/www/html/ls
piddir  = /var/www/html/ls
cgiurl   = http://inetmon/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi
smokemail = /usr/local/smokeping/etc/smokemail
# specify this to get syslog logging
# syslogfacility = local0

*** Database ***

step     = 300
pings    = 20

# consfn mrhb steps total

AVERAGE  0.5   1  1008
AVERAGE  0.5  12  4320
    MIN  0.5  12  4320
    MAX  0.5  12  4320
AVERAGE  0.5 144   720
    MAX  0.5 144   720
    MIN  0.5 144   720

*** Presentation ***

template = /usr/local/smokeping/etc/index.html

+ overview

width = 600
height = 50
range = 10h

+ detail

width = 600
height = 200
unison_tolerance = 2

"Last 3 Hours"    3h
"Last 30 Hours"   30h
"Last 10 Days"    10d
"Last 400 Days"   400d

*** Probes ***

+ FPing

binary = /usr/local/sbin/fping

*** Targets ***

probe = FPing

menu = Top
title = Network Latency Grapher
remark = Welcome to the SmokePing website of xxx Company. \
         Here you will learn all about the latency of our network.

+ World

menu = the world
title = menu title

++ TX-DIA01

menu = tx dia01
title = Our Link to the Real World
host = yahoo.com
[root at netmon ls]#

[root at netmon ls]# less /usr/local/smokeping/bin/smokeping
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
# -*-perl-*-

use lib qw(/usr/local/rrdtool-1.0.39/lib/perl);
use lib qw(/usr/local/smokeping/lib);

use Smokeping;

Smokeping::main("/etc/smokeping.config");

=head1 NAME

smokeping - Commandline tool for SmokePing

=head1 SYNOPSIS

B<smokeping> [ B<--email> | B<--makepod> | B<--version> | B<--restart> ]

 --man      Show the manpage
 --help     Help :-)
 --email    Send SmokePing Agents to all Targets marked DYNAMIC
 --makepod  Create POD documentation on Config file
 --version  Show SmokePing Version
 --debug    Run Only once and do not Fork
 --restart  Restart SmokePing
 --nodemon  Do no demonize the process (no fork)

=head1 DESCRIPTION

The B<smokeping> tool is the commandline part of the SmokePing system.
Its
main function is to run as a daemon and send Pings to all the Targets
you
have specified in the Config file. When you call B<smokeping> without
arguments it will start as a daemon and do it's work.

If called with an argument, then further functions can be activated, as
seen
in the Synopsis above. The B<--email> function is explained in the
documentation on the config file.

The B<--makepod> does get used internally to produce the documentation
on
the SmokePing configuration file.

Please refer to the installation document for detailed setup
instructions.

=head1 SETUP

When installing SmokePing, this file has to be adjusted to fit your
local system. Three paths have to be entered.

One pointing to your B<rrdtool> installation

 use lib qw(/usr/pack/rrdtool-1.0.33-to/lib/perl);

One pointing to the place where you have installed the SmokePing
libraries

 use lib qw(/home/oetiker/public_html/smokeping/lib);

The third path is the argument to the Smokeping::main command. It points
the SmokePing configuration file.

 use Smokeping;
 Smokeping::main("/etc/smokeping.config");

=head1 COPYRIGHT

Copyright (c) 2002 by Tobias Oetiker. All right reserved.

=head1 LICENSE

This program is free software; you can redistribute it
and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public
License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later
version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be
useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied
warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more
details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
License along with this program; if not, write to the Free
Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA
02139, USA.

=head1 AUTHOR

Tobias Oetiker E<lt>tobi at oetiker.chE<gt>

=cut