[smokeping-users] Re: Graph doesn't appear

Dan McGinn-Combs Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com
Mon Apr 14 16:15:10 MEST 2003

I just ran into a similar problem with a Smokeping machine I'd set up
recently.

Everything was fine (collecting data, graphs showing) until I noticed
that the machine's time was off by one month. So I changed the month
(backwards). Then ... Nothing. The data wasn't being put into the RRD
files and the graph wasn't being updated.

After much thought, it occurred to me that two things were going on:

1) RRD would not let the files be updated because, as far as it was
concerned, I was putting OLD data into it. Since I'd changed the time
BACK one month, it thought that the last update time was 1 month in the
future. Hence, it was rejecting updates.

2) The graphs are created by the smokeping.cgi file which is designed to
create LAZY graphs -- in other words, if the currently available graph
accurately reflects what is in the RRD files, there is no need to waste
precious system time/disk/cpu creating new ones. So it doesn't. In my
case, the graphs looked like they were 1 month younger than today's
date. Hence, it wouldn't create new graphs either.

Now I could have gotten fancy and muddled with the RRD files and
touch'ed the PNG files... But I just decided to delete everything (RRD's
and PNG's). It worked! Suddenly, the graphs reappeared with the proper
data on them.

One final question -- does the SMOKEPING graphic and the RRDTool graphic
show up on your Smokeping home page? If not, then you probably have the
.simg settings incorrect in the config file (the voice of experience
AGAIN).

Dan