[smokeping-users] EchoPing and multiple web servers

lists.smokeping.wfitzgerald at crtman.com lists.smokeping.wfitzgerald at crtman.com
Wed Jul 2 00:06:51 MEST 2003

Hi All,

I have a load balancing device that distributes http requests across a
number of servers. I am trying to use Smokeping to monitor the
individual server, and have run into a bit of a hurdle.

My scenario is as such www.mysite.com resolves to 5.5.5.5
On the backend that load balances to
2.2.2.1
2.2.2.2
2.2.2.3
2.2.2.4

Each IP address being an individual web server.

Each of these web servers responds to a request made with a host header
of www.mysite.com ... else nothing would work right?

Echoping has the ability for me to specify a url as one of the
"PROBE_CONF" options, but nowhere can I specify the IP address
separately.

My issue is that although I can specify the IP address of the host at
level one of the config, I should be able to override the HTTP header in
the probe config.

This is what my example currently looks like

+++++ BackendWebServer1

menu = BackendWebServer1
title = My Server 1
probe = EchoPingHttp
host = 2.2.2.1
++++++ PROBE_CONF
url = /somepage

The problem is that if I change the host to mysite.com I then query the
incorrect IP.

What would be brilliant is if I could do the following

+++++ BackendWebServer1

menu = BackendWebServer1
title = My Server 1
probe = EchoPingHttp
host = 2.2.2.1
++++++ PROBE_CONF
url = /
hostheader = www.MySite.com

Sorry for the long email, but any help is appreciated.

P.S the problem may be that the echoping tool does not allow this
parameter. Tools like check_http that are packaged with nagios do.

Thanks
Warrick