[smokeping-users] Re: Smokeping runnning time - maximum number targets in 5 minutes

Cedric Charest cedric.charest at cgi.com
Wed Mar 5 07:54:18 MET 2003

Well I'm running Smokeping and MRTG on the same server, which is a
Athlon 1133 MHz, 256MB RAM.
Here, Smokeping is monitoring around ~400-500 elements, and for now,
MRTG is monitoring 50 elements (soon around 1500+).
The system load was so high that, often, smokeping wasn't receiving ping
in time. I fixed the problem with MRTG by puting it as a deamon and by
adding 512 new MB in the ram.
But this doesn't look to be your case.

Also, with someping, I am doing aroung 20 to 50k/s (in and out) of ICMP
packets. With 1500 elements that are pooled with 20 pings (84 bytes per
packets) every 300 seconds (ie: 5 minutes) is doing a lot of traffic (in
packets) of your router/firewall. If your firewall is configured to
detect DDOS attacks and try to stop them, it may decide to block pings
when there is too much packets.

And also, don't forget that icmp packets are the first packets type to
be dropped by a router when the router is working too hard... that's why
pings aren't really reliable.

Hope this may help! ;)

Cedric