[smokeping-users] Re: echopinghttp

Alan Silver silver at biostat.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 1 15:08:02 MEST 2003

cdm:

I am actually using it for one of the hosts that I am monitoring. A lot
of my users access data and such from the cancer.gov website, so it
seemed like a good idea to monitor it. Well, they are blocking ICMP
packets, so I couldn't use ICMP fping. and I am now using echoping very
nicely.

Here is the snippet from my config
+ EchoPingHttp
binary = /usr/local/bin/echoping
revalidate_data = yes

          +++ Cancer
          menu  = Cancer.gov
          title = www.cancer.gov Webserver
          host  = www.cancer.gov
          probe = EchoPingHttp

I chose to revalidate the data since the university here is behind a web
cache and just doing a normal echoping would give me possibly false
results.

The website that this point to is here:
https://spica.biostat.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi?target=World.USA.Cancer

Hope that helps