[smokeping-users] IPv4 Fping and IPv6 FPing6 coexistence

Jarek Woznica jarek.woznica at heanet.ie
Tue Oct 7 12:45:14 MEST 2003

Hello,

We are using SmokePing to monitor ~50 hosts. Generally everything is
working perfect.
However I have noticed strange SmokePing behaviour and am wondering how
to solve it...

We are monitoring two sets of targets (all configured within one config
file and under TARGETS secition
of course). One set is probed by IPv4 FPing, and the second set is
probed by IPv6 FPing6.

The list of IPv4 targets begins with:

*** Targets ***
probe = FPing

/and list of targets/

and the list of IPv6 targets starts directly under the last IPv4
targets, with:

probe = FPing6
/
and list of targets
/
It looks like any target, which is the last target within IPv4 ping list
(set) instead of being probed
by IPv4 ping, it is probed by IPv6 ping (even if it is definitely within
IPv4 ping group...)
When you go to the graphs created for this site - you will see, that
below every graph it says: "Probe: 20 IPv6-ICMP Echo Pings every 300
seconds".

I have done some tests.
I changed the sequence of last two hosts within IPv4 list and after
this, again the last site (this time
the other one) was probed by IPv6 ping, and the site which was the last
before - now was OK (because
obviously it wasn't the last in the list)

As a workaround I have created fake target site/host, within IPv4 list,
so this is probed by IPv6,
and the other targets are ok now, but this doesn't resolve the issue...

Any ideas why there is such issue?

Jarek Woznica