[smokeping-users] Re: Some graphs stay empty

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Fri Sep 5 08:02:20 MEST 2003

* Dan McGinn-Combs <Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com>:

> From a troubleshooting point of view you need to know whether your
> problem is the measurement tool (fping or echoping) causing the
> problem or the rrdtool update and graph.

Very good observation. I diffed the *.rrd for the graphs that stay
empty. They're identical. From this I conclude, that data is never
filled into the rrd's after they were created.

echoping and fping work

> Second, if these are working (i.e. You get back reasonable responses)
> then check the rrd updates by checking the time and trying a manual
> update. The command line version of rrdtool should give you some
> indication as to why the update isn't working.
>
> If that doesn't cut it then perhaps the graphing isn't working. Again
> try to manually built a graph for the last 24 hrs.
>
> Finally use "rrdtool info" at the Command line to check that the db
> meets criteria for a successful update and graph (that is Compare the
> last update field to the RRDs that do show a graph).

I'll try that

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (Im Auftrag des Referat V a)   Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Charite Campus Mitte                            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155