[smokeping-users] Re: Smokeping result howto

Dan McGinn-Combs Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com
Thu Aug 5 03:28:52 MEST 2004

I found interesting results on this.

The problem doesn't have to do with the mystical reload of the PERL
library cache or the phases of the moon. It has to do with a string
value being provided to Net::SMTP when you initialize the smtp
connection.

$cfg->{General}{mailhost} must resolve to a string which is a host name
(or IP address). Check to make sure you have configured the "mailhost"
in your config file.

The interesting part is that it uses this same function to do --morning.
And nearly the exact code is used in Smokeping.pm to send alerts. Odd
that it would exhibit a variable behavior here.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: smokeping-users-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch
[mailto:smokeping-users-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Dan
McGinn-Combs
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 5:22 PM
To: smokeping-users at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [smokeping-users] Re: Smokeping result howto

I'm running my version of Smokeping/tSmoke on a Gentoo Linux machine.
When I first attempted a --weekly report, I got the same error about the
mail method. I fought with it for a while (because I was sure I loaded
Net::SMTP). Then out of frustration I rebooted. *Then* it started
working.

I attributed it to a requirement to reload the PERL library cache and
went on with my life.

I'll check on a fresh system and see if I can recreate the issue.
Dan