[smokeping-users] alert detector granularity

dave bernardi dave.bernardi at adelphia.net
Fri Feb 6 20:16:02 MET 2004

Hi,

It's clear that alert detectors work on sequential patterns but I can't determine if it's based on each sample for a given poll period or the average (mean) of the overall sample and is it the same for packet loss and latency.

For example, if the default number of pings is 20 per period and my normal RTT is 80ms and only one of the 20 pings is 120ms would the given pattern be true (<85,>90) or does the 120ms get averaged into the sample period, thus not matching the pattern.

Is packet loss handled using the same method.

thanks,
--
dave bernardi