[smokeping-users] Re: gaps in the graph

Brian Boyle brian.boyle at heanet.ie
Thu Jan 8 12:51:53 MET 2004

Hi Ralf,

> We've been using smokeping successfully for quite some time now, but
> there's one thing on our mind:
>
> There are gaps in the graphs. These gaps correlate between all
> targets. Is there a way to find out what exactly the problem is?

Just last night, we noticed gaps in our graphs too (for the first time),
and were wondering what the problem could be. The only suspicion we
have so far is DNS - one of the two DNS resolvers in use by the machine
we run smokeping on was down, and our gaps correspond to multiple small
intervals within the period of the DNS downtime. The gaps are like yours
common to all targets, even targets with hard coded IP addresses, which
I would not expect to have been impacted by DNS issues.

The DNS outage may have nothing to do with it, but can you see if you
had a similar issue ongoing during periods where gaps occurred?

Best regards,
Brian.
--
Brian Boyle				Phone:	+353-1-660-9040
Managed Network Services		Fax:	+353-1-660-3666
HEAnet Limited				Email:	brian.boyle at heanet.ie