[smokeping-users] RemoteFPing Problems

David Bickle dbickle at uvic.ca
Thu Jun 3 22:12:23 MEST 2004

Hi,
I've been trying to get RemoteFPing working for some time. I am running
Fedora Core 1. After consulting the mailing list I am satisfied that I
have tried everything.

I've set up the remote host with authenticated ssh and I get the
appropriate results at the command line so I am sure the system is
working properly. However when I follow the documentation and use these
configuration parameters:

+ RemoteFPing
binary = /usr/bin/ssh

++ PROBE_CONF
rhost = somehost.somedomain.com
ruser = user
rbinary = /usr/local/sbin/fping

I get the following error:
ERROR: /usr/local/smokeping/etc/config, line 92: no sections are allowed

So if I remove the ++ PROBE_CONF directive and attempt to launch I get
the following:

SmokePing### assuming you are using a remote fping copy reporting in
miliseconds
### fping seems to report in 1 miliseconds
Daemonizing ./bin/smokeping ...
 the application crashes producing the following output:

And in debug mode:

Launched successfully
RemoteFPing: probing 13 targets
FPing: probing 0 targets
ERROR: RemoteFPing 'rhost' not defined at
/usr/local/smokeping/lib/Smokeping.pm line 811

It appears as though the script is not reading the config file properly.
Any suggestions?

Does anyone have a working RemoteFPing config file they could send me?

Thanks in advance.