[smokeping-users] Re: smokeping email alerts

Dan McGinn-Combs Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com
Wed Jun 16 16:18:58 MEST 2004

Dez,
You must make sure that your email is set correctly in Alerts first.

*** Alerts ***
to = dan at mydomain.com
from = smokealert at mydomain.com

Otherwise they go off into thin air.

You might also check on a couple of other things.

1) By defining a mailhost, you are telling Smokeping to use the perl
based SMTP functionality in NET::SMTP. If you do not have this loaded,
it will not work.

2) Test your sendmail/SMTP functionality outside of Smokeping first.
Using sendmail (if that's what you so) try this:
 # sendmail user at domain.com
Subject: Testing
This is a test
.

#

That should let you know if Sendmail is working. Using the SMTP
function, you can write a simple perl script to do this.
use Net::SMTP;
my $smtp = NET::SMTP->new('smtp hostname');
$smtp->mail($fromaddress);
$smtp->to($toaddress);
$smtp->data();
$smtp->datasend("this is a test\n");