[smokeping-users] Re: Can SmokepinG send RTT and latency alerts to syslog?

Dan McGinn-Combs Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com
Mon Jun 28 22:31:52 MEST 2004

Putting the status in the syslog is a pretty good idea. I would submit, however, that you already have the status (i.e. up/down) stored in the round robin database!

Using tSmoke.pl (in the contrib directory) you can get a quick status of what is DOWN (i.e. returning zero PINGs) as well as a quick and dirty HTML availability chart for the management suits.

tSmoke.pl reads the existing config file and pulls data and calculates directly from the live RRD files. There is no need to update the config file itself.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: smokeping-users-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch [mailto:smokeping-users-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Ralf Hildebrandt
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2004 8:18 AM
To: klkbranch
Cc: smokeping-users at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [smokeping-users] Re: Can SmokepinG send RTT and latency alerts to syslog?

* klkbranch <klkbranch at hotmail.com>:

> All I seem to get are informational messages about the daemon
> starting up.  Can SmokePing send the alerts to syslog, too? Kevin

That would be great. There are two ideas I had in mind:

a) A "state" directory:
   Alerts are defined as "on" and "off", and "on" alert creates a file
   (e.g. lossdetec is an "on" kind of alert) while an "off" alert
   ("noloss") removes the file again.
   That way a status page would be possible (what hosts are busted
   right now?)

b) logging to syslog
   That way the syslog could serve as a staus page

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (Im Auftrag des Referat V a)   Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Charite - Universitätsmedizin Berlin            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155