[smokeping-users] Re: bandwidth hack. {Tarandi}

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu May 6 08:02:28 MEST 2004

Hi Ali,

if done right, your customers should not be redownloading the
longer term files because they do not change as frequently than the
short term ones ... smokeping also does not regenerate these files
except when they are out of date ... what it does at the moment is
looking at the file to figure if it needs updating ... because the
cgi runs under speedy (yours does, right ?) you could add a
persistent variables (use vars) to keep track of when the png was
last updated and only have the rrdtool code look at it every 5
minutes or so ...

Today Ali ISIK wrote:

> Our smokeping installation monitors hundreds of endpoints
> with a one-minute detail.  We have several operators in multiple
> cities constantly refreshing almost all detail pages, which are
> configured to have 7 big png files each.  What the operators are
> usually interested in is the top graph.  To reduce the burden on
> the Feathered One, I just put in the following hack into the .pm
> file.  It seems to work, but I need to see the changes in server
> load and user sentiment over the next few days to really judge
> its effect.  For the moment I am pretty optimistic.  What do you
> guys think?  cheers.
>
> --ali90
>
> ----------------BEGIN snippet----------------------
> ### META: BEGIN RAI bandwidth hack
>         $q->param('detail')
>             or do{
>                 $page .= sprintf qq|<P><A HREF="%s&detail=yes">Graphs for
> larger intervals</A><BR><I>( Please use only as needed -- RAI )</I></P>|,
> $q->self_url();
>                 last;
>             };
> ### META: END RAI bandwidth hack
>       }
>     return $page;
> }
>
> sub display_webpage($$){
>     my $cfg = shift;
>     my $q = shift;
>     my $open = [split /\./,( $q->param('target') || '')];
>     my $tree = $cfg->{Targets};

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETZ J97, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker   +41(0)44-632-5286